To the Editor,
Over the course of several months the Geauga Park District had been seeking bids for Park projects and did all the advertising in the News Herald and none in Geauga papers.
According to Mr. Mark Rzeszotarskis’ statement that he wants to keep the money that the Park needs to spend within the county, why did he not use local newspapers to seek bids which would have been much less expensive?
According to the article in the News Herald of who did all the advertising for the work that the park was going to spend of which is $3.1 million, why is it that none of the businesses that have been awarded the project are not Geauga Companies?
Listed in the News Herald on March 11, 2010 page A3 I quote:
- Bass Lake Preserve, Munson Township - A new picnic shelter for $243,455.00 awarded to Mr. Excavator of Kirtland
- Observatory Park, Montville Township- Observatory and public buildings, central and entrance plaza for $1.32 million awarded to Hummel Construction of Ravenna
- Orchard Hills Park, Chester Township- Streams and wetland restoration, parking lot and new shelter for $1.368 million awarded to Ohio Paving and Construction of Willoughby
- Big Creek Park, Chardon Township – Asphalt improvements for $18,905 awarded to Chagrin Valley Paving of Chagrin Falls
- Chickagami Park, Parkman Township- New camping amenities, such as tent pads and fire rings, new picnic shelter and trail addition. For $154,570.00 awarded to Heckman Excavator of Concord Township
Not one of these companies is located inside of Geauga County.
According to Mr. Rzeszotarski our tax dollars were suppose to be spent with in Geauga County but for some reason this did not happen.
One can verify what I have written by looking at a publication that the Geauga Park District publishes, Voices of Nature, SPRING 2010 page 8 “Park District makes it a priority to purchase from local vendors to keep the taxpayers’ money within the county”.
Mr. Rzeszotarski should explain to us taxpayers why there were no Geauga Companies picked to provide these services. He needs to be held accountable for his actions and explain to the people why he did not advertise in any Geauga papers where local Companies could at least have a chance to see what is out there to bid on.
Michael J. Petruziello
Chester Township Resident
Thanks for the letter Michael.
Are you surprised that anyone in authority at the Geauga Park District has not kept their word?
It has become well known that their attitude is one of arrogance....that they answer to no one and have contempt for people who question them.
That is a personality defect that originates from the man who has the authority to hire them....Juvenile/Probate Judge Charles Henry, who hires like minded people.
The park district commissioners are right....THEY DON'T ANSWER TO ANYONE....EXCEPT....Judge Charles Henry, the man who hires them, although Henry claims he doesn't get involved in their day to day operations and has no control over them.
I don't understand that. I don't understand how the man who has the power to hire the commissioners, does not have the power to fire them, reprimand them or correct them if they are doing wrong.
Does this make sense to any of you? Especially you small business owners. Do you not have some kind of control over the people you hire? GOD help you business if you didn't!
So, we have a park board of commissioners who are really not answerable to us because they are not elected, and we have a judge who hires them and hides behind the thin veil of "I DON'T HAVE ANY CONTROL OVER THEM".
Wow! Ain't it great folks!